Sparklyladybug.com.au






From Tea to Sake

So, about 3 weeks ago i started taking a Japanese pottery class, well, i dont know that it is Japanese persay, but a pottery class none the less. It's been fun so far, but i dont think i'm very good at it! My first lesson i learnt how to kneed the clay...after my sensei (teacher) gave me his dough, i made a couple of mugs. I think he kinda gave up on my kneeding abilities and well, maybe there was good reason for that, while his clay looked like a sculptured organized lump, mine just looked like a big clump! The mugs might be ok actually, we'll see when they come out. The next lesson I made a vase and two teacups. I did a little better with the kneeding this time, i even got looks from my sensei sort of suggesting "there might be hope for you yet!", so i was pretty excited. Communication is quite limited, he has very little English and I have not much more Japanese. My last lesson, I sanded and glazed my mugs, i think the glazing might be my stronger point...we'll see when my mugs come out of the kiln. After that, it was time to work some more on the teacups. While they were on the potters wheel, i had to carve out the bottom into a nice japanese teacup bottom shape, so, sensei showed me how to do the first one, and then i tryed the second. It started out ok...but then all of a sudden it flew off the wheel and broke! So, now it is a sake (pronounced sa-k...it's japanese rice wine) cup (they look like tiny teacups)...but, on a brighter note, i made a pottery class friend cause another lady was glazing, and she wanted to copy me! I used three colours of glaze on my mugs and added stripes and stars...they may not be so japanesey looking, but she thought it was fun and did a similar design! Then, we were talking at the end of class (half broken japanese/half broken english) and she wanted to know when i was coming back! yay for pottery class friends!
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

At 11:28 a.m., Blogger Tracy said...

Stripes and Stars? Are you going all American on us?
Pottery Class sounds like good times! I wish i could take one... it's okay though, i'll be a Jewerly making expert in no time, lol, I hope.
Have fun at class!
Tracy    



» Post a Comment